[OpenIndiana-discuss] A dumb idea

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Fri Jan 29 12:10:48 UTC 2021

On 29.01.21 11:52, Jim Klimov wrote:
> On January 29, 2021 6:08:50 AM UTC, Stephan Althaus <Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu> wrote:
>> On 01/29/21 06:58, Chris wrote:
>> Taken this idea, to me it would make more sense to try to transform
>> joyent's pkgsrc,
>> as many these pkgs in there are known to build on illumos.
>> IF it is possible technically and a reasonable effort.
>>

> Isn't pkgsrc.joyent.com usable on any illumos a thing already done for years?
>
> I believe it comes with its own ecosystem of binaries and library dependencies,

Yes, exactly, we're using it with some older Hipster from 2017 to enrich
the software portfolio a bit, and it does mostly work out of the box.
Some of the libraries OI already has are duplicated (often in somewhat
different versions), but that's a small price to pay compared to the
vast software catalogue pkgsrc offers.
So no reason to "transform" packages, given the limited manpower OI has.
Just do everything to keep the illumos/Joyent/Tribblix community binary
compatible.