[OpenIndiana-discuss] What's HASWELL support like on OI?

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Fri Jan 29 22:21:42 UTC 2021

On 01/29/21 22:24, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss wrote:

>> On 29. Jan 2021, at 23:20, Stephan Althaus <Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu> wrote:

>>> Thanks! I don't have any of that here. This sort of thing is
>>> controlled by /etc/ttys on FreeBSD. I'm not sure what the equivalent
>>> is on OI. Will have to look around and see what I can find.
>>> Seems odd to me your listing above isn't initiated by default.
>>>
>>> Thanks again! :-)
>>>
>>> --Chris
>>>>
>> Hello Chris!
>>
>> On my system that was installed on Jan, 24
>> the services are _not_ enabled by default
>>
>> $ svcs -a|grep -i vt
>> disabled       20:57:27 svc:/system/vtdaemon:default
>> disabled       20:57:27 svc:/system/console-login:vt2
>> ..
>> disabled       20:57:27 svc:/system/console-login:vt6
>>
>> So you have to enable them after installation:
>> svcadm enable svc:/system/vtdaemon:default
>>
>> .. and Udo is right, i made a mistake, the keys to be pressed are
>>
>> CTRL-ALT-F1 for the firstVT
>> CTRL-ALT-F2 for the 2nd VT
>> ..
>>
>> *Uups* - These VT won't be there on an UEFI System - just at this moment looking at a black screen after pressing CRTL-ALT-F1
>>
>> dmesg says:
>> console-kit-daemon[512]: [ID 702911 daemon.warning] WARNING: signal "open_session_request" (from "OpenSessionRequest") exported but not found in object class "CkSeat"
>>
>> Be sure to use LEGACY boot option - if you have..
>>

>> Greetings,
>>
>> Stephan
>>

> Is your OI up to date?
>
> rgds,
> toomas

Hello!

Yes, pkg update a few minutes before.

SunOS fuji 5.11 illumos-beed421eff i86pc i386 i86pc

CTRL-ALT-F1 goes to blank screen,
CTRL-ALT-F7 _not_back to X

Integrated intel graphics - X is running on an Nvidia NVS 295 with OI
standard driver version 340.

nvidia kernel module is there,
but i am missing the modulge nvidia_modeset

OK.
# pkg uninstall -v driver/graphics/nvidia mate_install
x11/server/xorg/driver/xorg-video
reboot
Display is on intel (viewed by iRMC). CTRL-ALT-F1 displays weird pixeling
after "svcadm disable lightdm" via xterm the "console" showed up, but
not VT2, VT3.. etc.
services sonsole-login are "online"

OK install nvidia 340.108 from nvidia solaris archive, (as described in
"https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Nvidia+Graphics"), reboot.

CTRL-ALT-F1 gives a blank screen on nvidia output, and no console on intel.
The module nvidia_modeset is not here. This module only part of later
versions, but these later versions don't support my card "quadro NVS 295".

BTW, i don't need the console on this hardware, but i like to give some
testing time to solve things..

Greetings,
Stephan