[OpenIndiana-discuss] ~6 minutes to OI banner/boot options in text install

Chris oidev at sunos.info
Sat Jan 30 01:02:21 UTC 2021

OK just dragged a Dell Optiplex 790 off the shelf
with a 4 core 8 thread i5 CPU in it, and as much RAM
as I could jam in it.
BIOS:
boot UEFI
SATA ahci
I've tried 2 different Nvidia cards, as well as the
intermal video. The results are the same;
2.5 minutes to get to the OI banner/boot options.
An additiona 3.5 to draw the OI banner/options screen.
It takes ~0.5 seconds to draw each cell. To be clear;
I'm not complaining here. Rather, I'm trying to
pinpoint WTF is going wrong in hopes of overcoming
the problem. I've attempted to put OI on 3 different
computers now, and the results have all been
underwhelming in the console dept.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for all your time, and consideration.

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX