[OpenIndiana-discuss] ~6 minutes to OI banner/boot options in text install

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Sat Jan 30 06:24:11 UTC 2021

> On 30. Jan 2021, at 03:43, Chris <oidev at sunos.info> wrote:
>
> On 2021-01-29 17:18, Andy Fiddaman wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jan 2021, Chris wrote:
>> ; OK just dragged a Dell Optiplex 790 off the shelf
>> ; with a 4 core 8 thread i5 CPU in it, and as much RAM
>> ; as I could jam in it.
>> ; BIOS:
>> ; boot UEFI
>> ; SATA ahci
>> ; I've tried 2 different Nvidia cards, as well as the
>> ; intermal video. The results are the same;
>> ; 2.5 minutes to get to the OI banner/boot options.
>> ; An additiona 3.5 to draw the OI banner/options screen.
>> ; It takes ~0.5 seconds to draw each cell. To be clear;
>> ; I'm not complaining here. Rather, I'm trying to
>> ; pinpoint WTF is going wrong in hopes of overcoming
>> ; the problem. I've attempted to put OI on 3 different
>> ; computers now, and the results have all been
>> ; underwhelming in the console dept.
>> ;
>> ; Any thoughts?
>> If you can press <escape> really early in the boot process, you get the
>> first loader prompt (I forget exactly how it looks). At that point,
>> enter "-t" without the quotes and press return. That will keep in
>> VGA mode, which might well be faster/usable.
> Huge thanks for the reply, Andy!
> Yes, it made a difference. Drawing each cell only takes 0.25
> seconds. :-P
> So somewhat faster, anyway. It's funny. It starts out quite
> fast. The speed I normally experience with other stuff. It
> writes
> Available consoles:
>  text VGA ...
>  ttya port 0x3f8
>  ttyb ... not present
>  ttyc ... not present
>  ttyd ... not present
>  null software device
>  spin software device
>
> Right at this point is where it drops to about 1/2 or slower speed.
> Then, cell by cell, it prints
>
> console ttyb failed to initialize
> console ttyc failed to initialize
> console ttyd failed to initialize

This is the point where you have got hint about why this happens. The same defect is with virtualbox, when you have configured host pipe for serial device.

The three lines above tell us that ttya was successfully initialized, so it must have to do about ttya.

If you comment out (I am assuming you have installed OS) the line:

console="text, ttya, ttyb, ttyc, ttyd”

from /boot/defaults/loader.conf, you will probably find the console is much better.

rgds,
toomas