[OpenIndiana-discuss] More 2021.04.30 strangeness

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 23:55:16 UTC 2021

 Tim,

Thanks. I don't have the gl-helper stuff anywhere. I'd never seen that message before either.

This is the LiveImage text install to an existing pool so I could do both RAIDZ2 and RAIDZ1. So it *is* a bit different. I had to create dump and swap among other things.

I found via top that caja was restarting 6 times per second, so I turned off execute permissions which stopped that. It *may* have been the cause of the other problems I was seeing. I should know in the morning. So far, so good.

I don't have PulseAudio running that I know of, but I also didn't, and have *never* started caja. I didn't even know what it was until this afternoon. I'd seen the name, but simply ignored it. A search on the gksu extensions revealed that it was for caja and that was a filesystem browser.

I'm starting up via lightdm.

At this point I seem to be OK. I'm actually farther along than I expected given the complexity of the configuration I'm planning. Getting the L2ARC working as desired was a lot smoother than I expected. Moving filesystems will be a bit of a chore, but I can " zfs send" to the scratch pool using NFS and then put the files from Solaris 10 u8 and Hipster 2017.10 in sensible locations from there (if I can figure out what that is ;-)

I'm going to go back to a dual window manager configuration which will be "interesting" I'm sure. I'll run twm for the portrait mode software development stuff and MATE on the landscape mode screen for Firefox and similar.

Overall, I'm very pleased. Using RAIDZ1 for the scratch pool instead of RAIDZ2 got me an extra 1.2 TB of space. As this is just for temporary files when doing data processing, the reduced redundancy is not an issue. Still a lot of work to do, but I'm rather excited as it should be a much nicer system once I work out all the kinks. Once it's done I simply need to find a vary large dataset to play with.

Have Fun!
Reg

On Sunday, June 20, 2021, 06:14:58 PM CDT, Tim Mooney via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] More 2021.04.30 strangeness, Reginald...:

> After the reboot .xsession-errors has this at the start:
>
> root at hipster:~# more .xs*ors
> mate-session-check-accelerated: Failed to run GL helper: Failed to execute child process “/usr/
> lib/amd64/mate/mate-session-check-accelerated-gl-helper” (No such file or directory)
> mate-session-check-accelerated: Failed to run GLES helper: Failed to execute child process “/us
> r/lib/amd64/mate/mate-session-check-accelerated-gles-helper” (No such file or directory)

I don't see those errors in my .xsession-errors, and I do not have that
binary installed

> (mate-settings-daemon:1419): MateDesktop-WARNING **: 07:35:40.297: Call to screen_info_new is too
> frequent, skipping...
>
> (mate-settings-daemon:1419): MateDesktop-WARNING **: 07:35:40.308: Call to screen_info_new is too
> frequent, skipping...
> Window manager warning: Log level 128: unsetenv() is not thread-safe and should not be used after
> threads are created
>
> (mate-settings-daemon:1419): MateDesktop-WARNING **: 07:35:41.528: Call to screen_info_new is too
> frequent, skipping...
>
> (mate-settings-daemon:1419): MateDesktop-WARNING **: 07:35:41.531: Call to screen_info_new is too
> frequent, skipping...
>
> (mate-settings-daemon:1419): MateDesktop-WARNING **: 07:35:41.531: Call to screen_info_new is too
> frequent, skipping...

I do see the same screen_info_new is too frequent warnings from
mate-settings-daemon, and the warning about unsetenv().

> Connection failure: Connection refused
> pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused

I do not have these two messages. This is just a guess, but "pa_" is
probably PulseAudio. Do you have any "pulse" processes in your process
list?

> ** Message: 07:35:42.669: Initializing gksu extension...
> ** Message: 07:35:42.984: Initializing gksu extension...
> ** Message: 07:35:43.158: Initializing gksu extension...

I do have one message about initializing gksu, but not 3 in a row like
this.

Is MATE being started by lightdm, or are you starting it some other way?

Tim
Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology / 701-231-1076 (Voice)