[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 2020.10 install disk FAIL #2 !!!

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Mon Mar 1 06:06:00 UTC 2021

> On 1. Mar 2021, at 05:55, Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>
> The Debian derived gparted disk did not offer any zfs FS types.
>
> Out of curiosity I just booted FreeBSD 12.2 and messed with gpart. It does not offer "apple-zfs as an option. Aside from ZFS not being an Apple creation, it's rather perverse that in 2021 one would need to use the beta from another OS to partition a >2TB disk for OI.
>
> From my admin log book:
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 1-26-13
>
> oi_151a7
>
> text installer limited system to 2 TB of 3 TB disk
>
> backed up to shell and ran format which correctly detected disk
>
> successfully labeled disk with 2 slices of 128 GB and 2.6 GB
>
> created pools w/ zpool on both slices
>
> relabeling 3 TB disk using OI format(1m) runs into logic errors in the partition.
>
> solution is to do a "free hug" modify & take defaults for all slices, then rename s0
>
> From there I moved the disk to my Solaris 10 u8 system which happily created the pools. I was also building an NL40 based system at the time and the log book gets a bit unclear. The s0 & s1 slices are the hallmark of my ZFS boot setup. Mirror on s0 and RAIDZ on s1. I don't think the Sol 10 instance has the 128 GB s0 slice now. As I'm pretty sure it will kernel panic if I run "format -e" and select the disk I'd rather not look.
>
> The message here is OI was capable of doing the geometry for a >2 TB disk at oi_151_a7. So for Hipster 2020.10 to not be able to do that is a considerable regression.

root at beastie:/var/log# zpool status
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: resilvered 1,68T in 0 days 10:10:07 with 0 errors on Fri Oct 25 05:05:34 2019
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
root at beastie:/var/log# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0
* /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0 partition map
*
* Dimensions:
*         512 bytes/sector
*  7814037168 sectors
*  7814037101 accessible sectors
*
* Flags:
*   1: unmountable
*  10: read-only
*
* Unallocated space:
*         First       Sector      Last
*         Sector       Count      Sector
*            34         222         255
*
*                            First       Sector      Last
* Partition  Tag  Flags      Sector       Count      Sector  Mount Directory
       0     12    00          256      524288      524543
       1      4    00       524544  7813496207  7814020750
       8     11    00   7814020751       16384  7814037134
root at beastie:/var/log# format
Searching for disks...done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c3t0d0 <WDC-WD4004FZWX-00GBGB0-81.H0A81-3.64TB>
          /pci at 0,0/pci15d9,805 at 1f,2/disk at 0,0
       1. c3t1d0 <WDC-WD4005FZBX-00K5WB0-01.01A01-3.64TB>
          /pci at 0,0/pci15d9,805 at 1f,2/disk at 1,0
       2. c3t3d0 <WDC-WD4003FZEX-00Z4SA0-01.01A01-3.64TB>
          /pci at 0,0/pci15d9,805 at 1f,2/disk at 3,0
       3. c3t4d0 <WDC-WD4005FZBX-00K5WB0-01.01A01-3.64TB>
          /pci at 0,0/pci15d9,805 at 1f,2/disk at 4,0
Specify disk (enter its number): 0
selecting c3t0d0
[disk formatted]
/dev/dsk/c3t0d0s1 is part of active ZFS pool rpool. Please see zpool(1M).

FORMAT MENU:
        disk       - select a disk
        type       - select (define) a disk type
        partition  - select (define) a partition table
        current    - describe the current disk
        format     - format and analyze the disk
        fdisk      - run the fdisk program
        repair     - repair a defective sector
        label      - write label to the disk
        analyze    - surface analysis
        defect     - defect list management
        backup     - search for backup labels
        verify     - read and display labels
        inquiry    - show vendor, product and revision
        volname    - set 8-character volume name
        !<cmd>     - execute <cmd>, then return
        quit
format> ver

Volume name = <        >
ascii name  = <WDC-WD4004FZWX-00GBGB0-81.H0A81-3.64TB>
bytes/sector    =  512
sectors = 7814037168
accessible sectors = 7814020717
first usable sector = 34
last usable sector = 7814037134
Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector          Size          Last Sector
  0     system    wm               256       256.00MB           524543
  1        usr    wm            524544         3.64TB           7814020750
  2 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
  3 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
  4 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
  5 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
  6 unassigned    wm                 0            0                0
  8   reserved    wm        7814020751         8.00MB           7814037134

format> ^D
root at beastie:/var/log#

Please note, VTOC label can not address large disks, you must use GPT with those. format command by default does offer VTOC, you can switch to GPT by running format -e (IMO this is bug, GPT should be default and VTOC should be available via expert mode, given how many people fail with partitioning).

Sharing disk by multiple pools is bad practice. It can be done, but you have to understand the consequences. Safest and easiest pick is to select whole disk setup from installer. whole disk setup will create GPT partitioning, it is large disk safe.

if you have any questions or additional information, please feel free to contact.

rgds,
toomas