[OpenIndiana-discuss] Do you ever think about adopting APT+DPKG?

cretin1997 cretin1997 at protonmail.com
Mon Mar 1 14:49:26 UTC 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday, March 1, 2021 9:33 PM, cretin1997 via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> We have the tech there. Well adapted for our needs. APT+DPKG based Illumos distro is not unpopular. Some distros even use RPM.
>
> Most historic APT+DPKG based distros already dead, only DilOS is left now. So we could have a look at DilOS, the way they patched and utilizing APT+DPKG and we can even co-operate with them, if both side wanted.
>
> We already see too many problems of the IPS pkg. Could we switch to another path?
>
> I know compatibility haunted us. But recently we broke it already. It's no longer the holy grail we have to keep at all cost anymore.
>
> Could we patch our oi-userland to generate DEB packages alongside of IPS packages?
>
> The DilOS people has figured out how to build illumos-gate into DEB packages already.
>
> This will not as hard as doing from scratch as we have many references.
>
> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
>
> openindiana-discuss mailing list

Sorry. I posted this without research much. After some researches, I think this will never happen.

OpenIndiana is a fake Solaris.

oi-userland is nothing but solaris-userland, modified to build on the different Illumos kernel OI uses.

OI lives on Solaris. So what Solaris does, OI will follow.

OI can't live without Solaris. And to keep Solaris likeness, the IPS packaging system must be used. Anything else will break the relationship.

Sounds harsh. But I have no bad intention.

I currently using a fake Delphi, too. The Lazarus IDE is a fake Delphi. Everything Delphi does, Lazarus and the Free Pascal Compiler who powers up Lazarus will have to follow.

They can't live without Delphi. Because no mirror images could live without the object before the mirror. This is a simple fact.

I'm back to reality now.