[OpenIndiana-discuss] Parted on 2020.04 GUI LiveImage DVD: Huh???

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 18:39:40 UTC 2021

 The only OI + UEFI issues I know of are a brain dead installer. And probably a brain dead EFI boot loader. Neither of those is that hard to fix. It's not as if we are short of disk space.

I made the layout on the 5 TB disk so I could boot Windows 7 Pro, Debian 9.3 and Hipster 2020.10 with a shared 1 TB partition. It has always been a bear to do, but I taught a laptop to boot Windows, Linux and Solaris over 15 years ago. I can probably still do it. It *did* require about a dozen installs to sort out how to keep the installers from killing something, but a bit of lying about partition types took care of it in the end. VirtualBox is fine for lightweight stuff, but don't try to build system kernels with it.

Will someone please point me to copies of the installer source that don't require building a repository de jour? I'll deal with the boot loader after I build a functional installer that doesn't play nanny and lets me do what I want.

There's an ancient quip, "Unix is *very* user friendly. It's just picky about its friends."

Having invested several days setting up a dedicated system to work on OI and never gotten a response on the dev lists to a simple question about the procedure for installing the new system image for testing, I find the whining about "we're just a small number of people" a bit disengenuous. If you want help, you have to respond to the people who are willing to work solving problems. If you ignore them, they won't help.

So if you want help, post where I can download a tarball of the installer sources. I'll cobble the ISO back together minus gparted when I get a system installed to my demands.

Reg