[OpenIndiana-discuss] Anyone running OI on VPS?

L. F. Elia lfelia at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 20:12:47 UTC 2021

I remove BEs as soon as it's clear they work.
----lfelia at yahoo.com, Portsmouth VA, 23701
Solaris/LINUX/Windows administration CISSP/Security consulting

    On Thursday, February 25, 2021, 11:12:08 AM EST, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> On 25. Feb 2021, at 17:47, cretin1997 via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>
> Do you run OI on VPS or dedicated server?
>
> Does OI suitable to run on a VPS at all?
>
> It seems normal cheap VPS plan of many host providers will be not enough. OI takes much more disk space than Linux because of Boot Environments. So it seems I will need to upgrade the storage plan. OI also needs more memory to work because of pkg so I will need more memory, too. This end up with a not cheap at all VPS whose resources (cores, memory, storage space) will be same same as my home PC.
>
> If it's so, does a dedicate server should be more preferred?
>
> But if it's the case, why someone consider running OI in the first place instead of Linux since Linux is a much cheaper option?
>
> I'm talking about normal KVM host providers here.
>
> I have no idea about the cloud (AWS, GCE, Azure,...) at all.

You do not have to keep multiple BE’s. Normally it is clear withing few days is the new be is any good or not and then you can remove old one.

Also make sure your datasets are compressed. pkg is bloat, only thing we can do about it is to fix it or replace it - but that will require people to actually work with that code.

rgds,
toomas