[OpenIndiana-discuss] Loader failure: guard2

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Mon Mar 1 21:11:15 UTC 2021

On 03/01/21 06:26 PM, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss wrote:

>> On 1. Mar 2021, at 16:08, Stephan Althaus <Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu> wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I installed a new (used) graphics card into my OI  system,
>> now i get a panic before the boot/loader menu is shown.
>>
>> consoles: internal video/keyboard
>> BIOS drive C: is disk0
>> BIOS drive J: is disk07
>> BIOSD 611kb/3334188kB available memory
>>
>> illumos/x86 ZFS enabled bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
>>
>> panic: free: guard2 fail @ 0xd8fa6540 + 513 from unknown:0
>> --> press a key on the console to reboot <--
>>
>> Last pkg update was about 2 weeks ago.
>>
>> There is an integrated intel card on board on PCI:3:0:0
>> an the installed nvidia is on PCI:2:0:0
>>

>> Please let me know how to diagnose (and get rid of) this…
>>

> The easiest option is to build mode debug info in it and see where it will lead us. I can help with this after an hour or so.
>
> rgds,
> toomas

Hello!

Thank you!

i forgot to mention,
a) that there was indeed a change in fontsize bgeinning with "panic: .."
b) I use an 4K LCD via DP and a 1030 gfx with 2GB graphics ram

Maybe the a swicht to "text" somehow in loader.conf would be a
workaround (?)

Best would be to fix this (hopefully rare and byte-size) issue,
maybe just for having 1..2 more users with successful OI install on 1st
try ;-)

Greetings,

Stephan