[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster 2020.10 text installer FAIL #3

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Tue Mar 2 19:20:32 UTC 2021

> On 2. Mar 2021, at 21:08, Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 09:17:31AM -0500, John D Groenveld wrote:
>> In message <20210302014545.GA6017 at imap.fastmail.com>, Gary Mills writes:
>>> These are Solaris partions, now called slices.  They are within a
>>> single FDISK partition.  You can use the partition command within
>>> format to see the slices.  You can use the fdisk command within format
>>> to see the FDISK partitions.
>>
>> They are GPT partitions, not Solaris slices within a legacy MBR fdisk
>> partition.
>
> Sorry.  I should not have replied.  I've never used GPT disks,
> although ZFS offers to use the whole disk, whatever that means.  I
> only know about FDISK partitions and Solaris slices.  There was once
> one type of partition, then there were two, and now there is three.

                /*
                 * Since we own the whole disk, try to enable disk write
                 * caching.  We ignore errors because it's OK if we can't do it.
                 */
                (void) ldi_ioctl(dvd->vd_lh, DKIOCSETWCE, (intptr_t)&wce,
                    FKIOCTL, kcred, NULL);

But of course, the problem with MBR+VTOC is complexity and size limit. Many people just do not understand the nested partition tables:)

rgds,
toomas