[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO Wow!!!!

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 19:54:08 UTC 2021

 As noted earlier, Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead! Send me the dtrace. I've been wanting to learn that better for quite a while. I'm pretty sure I have the book, but haven't had the motivation.

I'm doing one of my unplanned, purely random projects. I've dropped around $200 on books on FreeBSD, Solaris and ZFS internals which will be arriving late this week or early next week. The VTOC discussion in the 1st ed of "Solaris Internals" was a bit of a let down. I'm hoping that the 2nd ed addresses that.

I take it *very* seriously when computers don't do *exactly* what I want. And I have a long history of doing rather exotic stuff. Before I became good friends with Unix I tuned a MicroVAX II in a BA123 "world box" to run 2 batch queues at 100% CPU utilization 24x7 without degrading interactive usage. Can't do that in Unix because of fork-exec, but you can in a transient process space OS like VMS by setting WS_QUOTA, WS_EXTANT and related parameters. Sadly in a few months of runs I probably saved the research group I was in more than I was being paid, but lost my financial support and PhD along with it. Oh, well.

Have Fun!
Reg