[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO Wow!!!!

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Wed Mar 3 00:13:33 UTC 2021

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO...:

> On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 1:25 PM Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss <
> openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>

>> The HP BIOS is the screwiest one I've ever come across.
>
> Can confirm via my HP ProBook. Dell's BIOSes are a lot better.

That may be true, but both Jedi and I tried several different Dell systems
in late 2019 (mostly PowerEdge R710, R720, and R730 servers for me) and could
not get a successful OI install on any of them using the 2019 OI installers.
I tried a range of BIOS versions for each of them, including latest or in
some cases last BIOS version.

I've also found that the most recent Dell Precision workstations now come
with some features (like USB boot) not available from the legacy BIOS.
They're slowly moving primarily to UEFI.  There's a good chance that my
next workstation at work won't actually run OI.

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)