[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO Wow!!!!

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 3 13:57:38 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 08:40:51PM -0800, Joshua M. Clulow via openindiana-discuss wrote:

> If ahci(7D) does indeed support this controller, and it's just that
> the association with the specific PCI ID is missing, that's incredibly
> easy to fix in illumos and then nobody needs to do the manual
> update_drv dance ever again.  At present, it's just attaching to the
> AHCI 1.0 PCI device class, 01:06:01:
>
>     http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/illumos-gate/usr/src/pkg/manifests/driver-storage-ahci.mf?r=fd6d41c5#46-47

The only permanent change to OI on my Z400 is this addition to
/etc/driver_aliases:

    ahci "pci8086,2822.103c.1309.0"

I've since done many OS upgrades to the system, but never needed
to make that change again.  Mostly, I forgot that I had done it.

> But if we need to bind it to more specific devices that do not
> advertise the class, it would just mean more aliases in the package
> manifest.  It'd help to collect the data from prtconf and file a bug
> report to start with, and then making the actual change is not likely
> to be a great deal more work after that.
>
> It's always best to file and fix the underlying bug where we can,
> rather than propagate workarounds like this.

I looked around for my notes on the first install of OI on my Z400,
but couldn't find anything.  Maybe it was that easy that I didn't
bother making notes.  I do recall that only needed to follow the first
part of the instructions.  The main thing is the add_drv and rebuilding
the boot archive.  There was only one BE, of course.