[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO Wow!!!!

cretin1997 cretin1997 at protonmail.com
Wed Mar 3 16:46:56 UTC 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Wednesday, March 3, 2021 11:13 PM, Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> Whoever decided that the root password entered at install time should be expired on first login should be hung by their thumbs. That isvery annoying.

Indeed they considered this a security features. As I recall, you can't even login as root. You login as a normal user, then su - root to switch to root.

Solaris is never about keep it simple. It's about over-engineering. So I'm not surprise at all.

The first time I encountered this password expire thingy is when I install VirtualBox Guest Additions by inserting the Guest Additions CD into the OI guest. The first thing I need to do is change root's password in order to continue. You can't even allowed to reuse the password you currently use for root because they consider it's a security risk, you must enter something else.

I ended up got lived with it. The first thing I do on a new OI install is sudo passwd root, I always put root's password different from user's password in installer and later changed it to the same as the user. One could call this as a security issue but I do whatever convenient for me.

/* Naysayers mode on
BTW, do you consider to give up? As I observed over time on this mail list, give up is the answer most of the time.
Naysayers mode off */