[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO Wow!!!!

Chris oidev at sunos.info
Wed Mar 3 17:22:25 UTC 2021

On 2021-03-03 08:50, Judah Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 9:36 PM Chris <oidev at sunos.info> wrote:
>
>> On 2021-03-02 03:20, cretin1997 via openindiana-discuss wrote:
>> >
>> > Another weakness of FreeBSD is the init system of it that has to be
>> > mitigated by
>> > tools like daemontools.
>> No offense, but this is false.
>> > Some embrace the KISS principle praise it for it
>> > deterministic and simplicity. But when comparing with Solaris' SMF and
>> FMA,
>> > FreeBSD's RC init system is a joke. That's real. FreeBSD's RC init
>> system
>> > loses to
>> > SystemD, too, even though they don't want to admit it.
>> This is purely opinion (yours). :-)
>>
> I've run FreeBSD since 2018. rc.d is great when used with packages that
> were developed for it. Otherwise, I've found it problematic.
>
> I know many, many people who flocked from Linux to FreeBSD
>
> I wish those people would show up in the FreeBSD forums or subreddits. The
> nice thing about Linux is if you have a problem you can get 20 sets of eyes
> on it in a single post. If you have a FreeBSD problem - especially 1
> involving interaction with another OS - you might get 2 or 3 replies.
You'll find the mailing lists your best source for quick/multiple responses.
As well as from those Linux defectors.
I find the freebsd-current@, freebsd-stable@ && the freebsd-hackers@ the
best for overall support/information. Of course there's freebsd-ports@
and freebsd-ports-bugs@ if your interest/needs revolve around ports/packages.

HTH

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX