[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO Wow!!!!

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 4 03:25:22 UTC 2021

Gary,

OK I'll give that a whirl. I've got 2019.04 on a USB so I'll try that first. 2017.10 is on a DVD.

I checked my 6 slot Z400 and it reports the same PCI info as the 4 slot machines. So I think there is more to it than we know about.

I use a bound composition book for my admin notes, but I never seem to have recorded enough detail :-( It does have the virtue of I know where they are, but that's about it.

I'm busy all day tomorrow so I won't be able to get on this probably until Friday, unless I happen to wake up very early. I've used the beadm stuff a few times, but it was a long time ago so I'm really not competent on that at the moment. I know what it does and why, but that's about all.

Thanks,
Reg
     On Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 09:08:02 PM CST, Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:

 On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 07:57:39AM -0600, Gary Mills wrote:

> I looked around for my notes on the first install of OI on my Z400,
> but couldn't find anything.  Maybe it was that easy that I didn't
> bother making notes.  I do recall that only needed to follow the first
> part of the instructions.  The main thing is the add_drv and rebuilding
> the boot archive.  There was only one BE, of course.

I found my notes.  They were from Febuary 2018.  Here they are, in
point form:

    o Changed controller to AHCI+RAID in BIOS
    o Booted OI hipster-20171031 USB stick
    o Started a shell window
    o Got a root shell with `sudo ksh'
    o Found `RAID controller' in `prtconf -v' output
    o Ran: update_drv -a -i 'pci8086,2822.103c.1309.0' ahci
      o Added line to driver_aliases:
        ahci "pci8086,2822.103c.1309.0"
    o Ran the installer
    o Checked new BE:
    # mkdir /tmp/a
    # beadm mount openindiana /tmp/a
    # wc -l /tmp/a/etc/driver_aliases /etc/driver_aliases
        1772 /tmp/a/etc/driver_aliases
        1772 /etc/driver_aliases
      o Files were the same
    o Rebuild the boot archive:
    # bootadm update-archive -v -R /tmp/a
      o No output
    o Umount:
    # beadm unmount openindiana
    o Rebooted from the installer GUI
    o Normal boot of new BE

--
-Gary Mills-        -refurb-        -Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada-