[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tribblix full screen on VirtualBox?

cretin1997 cretin1997 at protonmail.com
Thu Mar 4 05:42:33 UTC 2021

Sorry to post it here. I think in general Tribblix is more suitable to be a desktop than OI. IMHO OI is better as a graphical server when Tribblix better as a normal desktop. OI is way too bloated in size, thanks to IPS pkg. About unnecessary packages, Tribblix is as bad as OI since your overlay approach also pulled in too many unneeded packages, but the different in size is huge so the role of IPS pkg to OI's bloatness is large. BTW, the fact is OI is still more polish especially when running under VirtualBox.

There is no Guest Additions for Tribblix. Just recently I know OI does package the Guest Additions and it can be installed easily by pkg install virtualbox-additions. Should Tribblix do that, too? Because I tried to install the Guest Additions using VirtualBox's own Guest Additions CD, after a few troubles and a reboot resulting in an unable to start system. The only thing I can do is revert to the previous VirtualBox snapshot.

There is a zap package with the vbox video driver for xorg which OI does shipped with Hipster by default. Installing this package also resulting in an unable to start system. Still have to revert to the previous snapshot.

You should put more love in Tribblix on VirtualBox, Peter. Without the Guest Additions, the resolution is very limited on my large screen, the middle mouse doesn't work and selecting items from from drop down list on GUI dialog is annoying.

BTW, should you replace Firefox Nightly 52 with Pale Moon as the default web browser? Why choose the inferior when we have the better?

Just my 2 cents

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.