[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problems after updating to latest Hipster

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 5 03:14:30 UTC 2021

 Two different builds labeled as "OpenIndiana Hipster 2020.10"? Please excuse me, but my hair is on fire!!!

This is INSANE!!!!!

Dad was a NY PE, but we wound up in Arkansas so he could speculate on real estate with a restaurant to tide us over. Despite Dad's sole qualification for owning a restaurant being 6 weeks as mess officer in the Navy during WW II, Mom made a go of it and did a cooking show on the CBS affiliate noon time variety show in Little Rock for 9 years from about 1965 to 1974. She outlasted 3 hosts. Dad could boil water for tea.

The surest way to *destroy* a restaurant is to have several celebrity (at least in their own minds) chefs who cook every dish differently! There are many restaurants which serve horrible food, but it is absolutely consistent. If they can keep going for 2-3 years they will build up a trade that likes it no matter how bad it is.

If OI puts out releases which are different, but identically labeled and might or might not work, no one but a complete masochist will stick around! The end result is the "developers" will be the only users. A rather sad outcome.

I have run OI since at least 151 and I think earlier as there was still a lot of confusion with Nevada when I started. If anyone cares I shall let them look through the mailing list. I don't care about when I started.

I care about when I *stop* using OI. I'd like that to be when I die. But there are some serious changes in release management procedures that need to be made or I'm likely to stop by the end of the year.

I am willing and able to do the work with a good track record doing it. Building and distributing X11R4 and Motif 1.2 for anything and everything from workstations to supercomputers is not for the faint of heart. There's a good reason the O'Reilly imake manual has a snake on the cover!

So let's get to doing it! If you make me do searches to try to figure out what's going on, I shall simply wander off shaking my head. If you communicate with me, I'll get it done to as high a standard as exists. I have had a rule for most of my life of: "I'll do it to my standards unless yours are better. Otherwise, I won't do it at all." And it I have to do it 3 times to get it to that standard, I do it. And triple booting a laptop with Windows, Linux and Solaris took 12!

Reg