[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO Wow!!!!

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 5 03:31:21 UTC 2021

I think the point was "small on disk" does not imply "small in RAM".

As I noted earlier, if a system can run Firefox, it shouldn't have problems.

I've not built a highly tuned miniroot in 30 years, but clearly it's time to do it again.

The diag switch on my 3/60 booted a custom miniroot from a small sliver of disk. That was done within 4 months of my losing my job as release manager for the idiot project from hell. I bought a 3/60 and 4x 141 MB + 1/4" tape shoeboxes a few weeks before a 38% staff RIF. I organized a deal for 7 systems and had them delivered at work. I then spent my last few weeks running around the office teaching people how to set up and run their systems before they took them home.

That was *before* I learned how to really do it properly. That took 4 months. I then spent another month learning lex and yacc before I got my first contract job. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Reg