[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problems after updating to latest Hipster - /var/log/Xorg0.log

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 19:18:58 UTC 2021

On Sunday, March 7, 2021, 8:58:54 PM GMT+2, Andreas Wacknitz <a.wacknitz at gmx.de> wrote:

>No, that's definitely the wrong conclusion, because
>- he is the only one seeing this problem at the moment
>- and it is most likely a selfmade problem because he installed a
>graphics card driver that is not officially distributed by OI

No I have seen exactly the same problem on a freshly installed system.
For some reason, I cannot install the system from the GUI media so I
installed the system using the text installation media. Then I created
a new BE and installed a newer version of the NVIDIA driver (the one that
comes with the media does not work). Then I installed the package install_mate
and then I tried to boot this new BE. But each time I try to boot the system,
it reboots after trying to start mate-session/lightdm. So practically I have
an unusable system.

>How can we prevent from these kind of problems in the future?
>He has installed a driver that is provided by NVIDIA for Solaris. It was
>necessary because our official driver (from the same NVIDIA source)
>is old and not suitable for modern NVIDIA graphics cards. Alas we don't
>have a newer one. And that is mostly because we have too few
>people involved in testing and maintaining packages. The majority
>prefers to fiddle themselves or wait that somebody else will do what
>they need.

I understand that this a complex problem. Mainly because the driver works
just fine on older machines. However in my case the problem was the following:

[  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
[  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
[  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module.  If
[  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     you continue to encounter problems, Please try
[  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
[  1231.908] (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!

Perhaps something went wrong with the packaging of files. Can you check that
indeed everything is OK?

>We have at least one PR with a newer driver that nobody seem to care to
>test. It is derived from older PR's that have been discussed and
>stalled for quite some time. So, the provided alternative driver is also
>already outdated. But that could be the base for more NVIDIA drivers
>in the future if it will be tested and merged. But if nobody cares
>enough to do that (or even work on a more sophisticated one) then the
>situation won't change.

Look I as using a GeForce GT 1030 and I am using NVIDIA Driver Version 415.18
with no problem. In general, I think you could "upgrade" to the 390 series.
I can try to upgrade the driver in one of my old systems and see if the
driver works.

Regards,
A.S.