[OpenIndiana-discuss] Updated NVIDIA drivers

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Mar 14 18:31:51 UTC 2021

On March 14, 2021 4:33:03 PM UTC, Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
>On 3/13/21 4:32 PM, John D Groenveld wrote:
>> In message <d3964437-8497-64ca-13ab-c059aa735197 at oracle.com>, Alan
>Coopersmith writes:
>>> There is no way to script this inside IPS packages - instead your
>script
>>> would have to be outside the packaging system and run pkg commands
>>> install/uninstall the packages as neto.
>>
>> Did Oracle consider using a mediator to set the system's nVidia
>version
>> branch?
>>
><URL:http://pkg.oracle.com/solaris/release/manifest/0/driver%2Fgraphics%2FnvidiaR304@0.304.137.0%2C5.11-11.4.0.0.1.1.0%3A20180226T183047Z>
>>
><URL:http://pkg.oracle.com/solaris/release/manifest/0/driver%2Fgraphics%2FnvidiaR340@0.340.104.0%2C5.11-11.4.0.0.1.1.0%3A20180226T183049Z>
>
>Considered and rejected as nvidia's design doesn't allow multiple
>versions to be
>installed on the system at the same time to mediate between.
>
>	-alan-

I had a PR for OI that I think silently withered that used an approach similar to opengl-selector to make a web of symlinks to libs and kernel modules based on choice as configured by the user (or possibly PCI IDs?), to pick one of nvidia-XXX implementations installed into predictably named different subdirectories.

So technically such magic seems possible.

Unfortunately, the laptops I had were all with intel+nvidia "optimus" setup, so I never had a chance to test it myself and not sure anyone did for the PR. Another reason it could have withered was that OI was stuck delivering some (varied over time) driver version as a "nvidia" verbatim named package.

Oh well, at least it seems from recent posts that now OI serves not a single "nvidia" package, but indeed a few"nvidia-XXX"'es for users to pick one to install, so my shim has a chance again :)

My 2c,
Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android