[OpenIndiana-discuss] Firefox68esr for testing

Carsten Grzemba grzemba at contac-dt.de
Wed Mar 17 14:13:27 UTC 2021

Am 17.03.21 14:25 schrieb Stephan Althaus  <Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu>:

> On 03/17/21 02:09 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> >On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 04:27:31PM +0100, Carsten Grzemba via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> >>I made available a firefox package 68esr for testing
> >>
> >>Unfortunately for the moment there is a restriction!
> >>There is a setting in /etc/system necessary:
> >>
> >>set _userlimit=0x7fffc0000000
> >>
> >>whithout this, FF will raise a assertion in JS code.
> >It sounds as if we need the illumos developers to make the appropriate
> >change to the illumos kernel or to the linker so that this setting
> >will not be necessary. An illumos bug report would be a good starting
> >point.
> >

> Hm..
>
> How is this handled with Solaris and solaris-userland ?

Solaris 11.4 x86 has changed his VA managment to be more like Linux and friends. Only for Sparc is a special mapfile and modified linker neccessary. Sparc has secure in silicon which uses also something like tagged pointer.

> Is this still the case with 78 ESR ?

the same, I will upload FF78 in the moment so you can test this also. But my first impression is needs more resources (RAM), less performance, at least on my not so young laptop with 8GRAM ;)

> Stephan

Carsten