[OpenIndiana-discuss] Firefox68esr for testing

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Thu Mar 18 21:03:27 UTC 2021

On 03/18/21 09:53 PM, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
> Am 17.03.21 um 14:09 schrieb Gary Mills:
>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 04:27:31PM +0100, Carsten Grzemba via
>> openindiana-discuss wrote:
>>> I made available a firefox package 68esr for testing
>>>
>>> Unfortunately for the moment there is a restriction!
>>> There is a setting in /etc/system necessary:
>>>
>>> set _userlimit=0x7fffc0000000
>>>
>>> whithout this, FF will raise a assertion in JS code.
>> It sounds as if we need the illumos developers to make the appropriate
>> change to the illumos kernel or to the linker so that this setting
>> will not be necessary.  An illumos bug report would be a good starting
>> point.
>>

> As an interim solution we can add an overlay in our illumos-gate build.
> /etc/system.d/ would be the right place in my opinion.

Please be patient with me, i don't have much knowledge of the OI internals.

But i would think of shipping a simple file like
/etc/system.d/firefox_userlimit  with the firefox package,
as users without ff78 won't need this global setting.

(i have

$ ls -l /etc/system.d/sata_auto_online
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         318 Jul  8  2020
/etc/system.d/sata_auto_online
which is a plain file, too )

Just my 2c

Stephan