[OpenIndiana-discuss] [discuss] Obstacle to GPT label boot?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 01:34:28 UTC 2021

 Judah has nailed the issue.

Hipster 2020.10 will not install with a GPT/EFI label. Clearly stated 2 TB limit in the installer. I was quite shocked. And annoyingly noisy about it :-(

I am happy to fix things which cause me problems if I get some help in the form of where to go look. Telling me to "use a search engine" is tantamount to saying. "We don't like your kind." Google delights in generating a million completely useless "hits".

If there is a piece of Illumos code for booting from >2 TB disks that needs to be ported over to OI, I'll do it if I can get answers to basic questions. Complex stuff such as, "What are the source files?" Where is the canonical repository?".

Reg

     On Thursday, March 18, 2021, 08:18:59 PM CDT, Judah Richardson <judahrichardson at gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 8:11 PM Hans Rosenfeld <rosenfeld at grumpf.hope-2000.org> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 12:31:08AM +0000, Reginald Beardsley via illumos-discuss wrote:
> Would someone please direct me to an explanation  of why we can't boot
> from disk >2 TB in 2021?

Have you tried? What problems did you run into?

I do believe he was referring to OI specifically. AFAIK, OI itself (not the live USB) has long had EFI boot issues, while other Illumos distributions such as OmniOS don't.
Unless I'm mistaken, the issue has been repeatedly paved over in great detail on the OI mailing list.

illumos has had support for booting from disks > 2TB for a few years
now, both in our ancient grub boot loader and of course also in the new
loader that Toomas Soome ported from FreeBSD a few years ago.

Hans

--
%SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown