[OpenIndiana-discuss] Replacing Solaris 10 u8

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 00:50:14 UTC 2021

My Solaris 10 u8 instance is rather dated.  I'd like to update it, but there are some absolute requirements:

Sun/Forte/Oracle Developer Studio
twm window manager on at least one screen
ZFS filesystem
must be stable long term

If needed I'll consider creating and supporting an LTS branch of Hipster.

Split screen with MATE on one screen and twm on another is acceptable.  I ran dtwm on one screen of u8  until I took it off line.  I did that by playing games with CDE.  15 years ago it was the only option.  MATE is tolerable for applications that need all that window management stuff.  But a clean dual screen twm and no external network would be just fine.  Moving the cable on a 4 TB USB OTG disk is just fine with me.

For some reason, about a month ago u8 quit saving core files.  I spent several hours reading man pages today trying to figure out what is wrong.  Dumpadm(1m) will not let me set either swap or /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/dump as the dump device.  It's not a space issue as the root pool has about 50 GB free.  Having worked reliably for 10 years it's  rather annoying.

I'm *really* tired of this cage fight.

Reg