[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to mount usb devices?

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Tue Mar 30 04:56:39 UTC 2021

On 03/29/21 04:17 PM, Jean-Pierre André wrote:
> Gary Mills wrote on 3/29/21 3:06 PM:
>>>
>>> If you are using the dbus service, the usual case with OI, USB devices
>>> get mounted automatically.  You don't have to do anything. The FMRI
>>> of that service is svc:/system/dbus:default .
>>
>> I see I made a mistake in this message.  It's the hal service that
>> mounts USB devices automatically.  The FMRI is:
>>
>>      svc:/system/hal:default
>>
>> This service is present on all my OI systems, but then I installed
>> them initially with the GUI installer.  I don't know if the hal
>> service is installed by the text installer.
>>

> And why is it restricted to vfat ? External usb disks are factory
> formatted as ntfs, which is more suitable for OS-agnostics
> backups. Automatic mounting Exfat devices would also be useful.
>
> This would alleviate the pain of having to determine the path
> assigned to the device after plugging it in, even if I do not
> mind having to issue a mount command.
>
> I ported "blkid" from Linux for alleviating the pain (sorry
> for the taboo), and keep away from the dangerous "format" way.
>
> Jean-Pierre

Hi!

I use sudo DISKINFO to determine the devicename of the thumb drive:

$ sudo diskinfo
TYPE    DISK                    VID      PID SIZE          RMV SSD
SCSI    c14t0d0                 Intenso  Business Line      58.59 GiB
no  no

One thing to think of would be to integrate exfat support via fusefs in
OI...

Greetings,
Stephan