[OpenIndiana-discuss] timezone

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 30 21:51:37 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:51:55PM -0700, irixuzer wrote:
> I'll bet this is a real classic question.  How Do I get OI and dos clocks
> to agree?  I sort of remember how to configure it in solaris 7 and 8.  I'm
> on the US West coast. and OI is telling me it's 8:33PM and it really is
> around 1:33 PM.  Please dont think i'm sending this to only toomas, gmail
> is stupid.

To set the DOS clock, you have to be in DOS or in the BIOS setup or in
OI.  To set the OI clock, you have to be in OI.

However, it sounds as if only your timezone is wrong.  What does the
date command, with no options, say for your time zone?  The hardware
clock does not have a time zone.  You can set it to anything you like
in OI.  This is normally done during installation.  The easy way to
change the OI time zone is with the rtc command, like this:

    # rtc -z zone-name

Check the man page for rtc for details.  You can also look at the
file /etc/rtc_config for current time zone settings.  If you change
the time zone with rtc, you should reboot immediately.