[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI on USB flash drive

Michelle michelle at msknight.com
Sat May 1 05:17:21 UTC 2021

Hi Till,

Many thanks for the detailed response.

My target is an enterprise Sandisk SSD on the end of a Sata/USB
controller. I think I can get it in the case. I've tried a few
combinations and have one that boots, so I'm fairly confident that this
is now down to tweeking; but I might have reached the end of the road
with the USB approach because, as you say, they are a bit exotic.

I do have a couple of HP N54L microservers in service for about five
years, with the custom BIOS flash so I have hot plug/play. The newer
microservers still run to a grand with a decent spec, which is a bit
rich for me at the moment; I need to save.

This is now just a case of not letting the QNAP go to landfill. You're
correct... my model is a half gig flash memory module on a USB header
and it unpacks itself into memory. With that gone, I'm at the 2015
American Megatrends BIOS controlling the boot, but I haven't found an
update that I trust for that motherboard yet.

Thanks for the tip on SmartOS - I'll look it up.

Michelle.