[OpenIndiana-discuss] Partitions for co-exist NAS drive

Michelle michelle at msknight.com
Sat May 1 07:56:10 UTC 2021

OK - I appear to be well out of touch.

I booted the installer and went into prompt.

Used format (only 1 x 6TB drive in the machine at this point) to create
a new Solaris 2 partition table and then fdisk'd an all free hog to
partition 1, giving partition 0 100gig.

I noticed that it must have gone on for 40 odd partitions, and also
there was none of the usual backup and reserved partitions for 2, 8 and
9 as I saw before.

On installation of OI, I selected the drive and got the warning...
"you have chosen a gpt labelled disk. installing onto a gpt labelled
disk will cause the loss of all existing data"

Out of interest I continued through and got the options for whole disk
or partition (MBR) ... the second of which gave me a 2Tb Solaris 2
partition in the list.

I did try F5 to change partition, but it just took me straight back to
the installation menu at the start again.

Things have obviously moved on and I haven't kept pace.

I now have to work out how to do this on a gpt drive.

If anyone has any notes, I'd be grateful.

Michelle.