[OpenIndiana-discuss] Partitions for co-exist NAS drive

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Sat May 1 12:40:32 UTC 2021

> On 1. May 2021, at 15:22, Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>

> I just went through several iterations of this, and like you the last time I had done it was long ago. The following is based on 2021.04.05.
>
> Large disks require an EFI or GPT label. The gparted program creates 128 slices which is a bit much. format(1m) will also write an EFI label which is usable with large disks.
>
>> format -e
> # select disk
>> fdisk
> # create Solaris partition for entire drive and commit to disk
>> partition
> # create the desired slices and write an EFI label
>> quit
>> verify
>> quit
>
> You should now have a Sun EFI label with 9 slices. 8 is set by format(1m) and can't be changed. The other two should be the ones you created.
>
> In the first text installer screen chose F5, in the 2nd screen select the slice you want to use. Continue with the install. When It completes reboot to single user.
>
> zfs create -V <size> rpool/dump rpool
> zfs create -V <size> rpool/swap rpool
> dumpadm -d /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/dump
> swap -a /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap
> touch /reconfigure
> init 6
>
> You should now come up with rpool in the 100 GB slice.
>
> That said, we can boot from RAIDZ now. The text-install on the Desktop live image will let you create a mirror, RAIDZ1 or RAIDZ2 and will take care of all the label stuff. Despite the statement that it will only use 2 TB, it in fact uses the entire disk.
>
> It creates a 250 MB s0 slice and the rest of the disk in s1. The 250 MB slice is labeled "System", but I've not seen any explanation of it. I've also created RAIDZ2 pools by hand and used F5 to install into them. F5 appears to be intended to install into a new BE in an existing pool, hence the need to set up dump and swap by hand.

This is EFI System partition, that is partition, created with FAT file system, where UEFI firmware can load and start applications such as os boot loaders and firmware updates.

The 250MB is too large for illumos loader alone, but is allocated to allow storing of other applications too.

In fact, 250MB is picked to keep in mind 4k sector size disks, and is actually buggy value - it should be abort 260MB instead. The fix is still on my desk;)

Rgds,
Toomas