[OpenIndiana-discuss] Partitions for co-exist NAS drive

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 13:50:02 UTC 2021

 What release are you trying to install? I last did this using 2021.04.05, but I can easily verify the behavior with 2020.10.

I *strongly* recommend that you put all the disks you plan to use in the machine and run the text-installer from the Live Desktop. Select F2 on the first screen. When you get to the disk list, select all the disks. Make sure you don't have a USB stick plugged in. I wiped out mine by accident. Selecting multiple disks triggers the appearance of options to create a mirror, RAIDZ1 or RAIDZ2 depending on whether you have 2, 3 or 4 disks. Just make sure you select an EFI label, not MBR

Let it wipe out the partitions and create the 250 MB slice and the rest of disk slice. That *is* the best practice today. The mirrored root pool slice is a bodge for releases which can't boot from RAIDZ.

If for some reason you want to do something different this is the step by step recipe. It will give you exactly whatever you set up with format(1m). Because the F5 option is expecting to be used on an existing bootable pool it doesn't create dump and swap, so you have to do that by hand. The absence of /reconfigure was what beat me up for a week before I figured it out quite by accident.

All this is done in a terminal window after doing "sudo /bin/su" as jack.

> format -e
# select disk
> fdisk
# create Solaris partition for entire drive and commit to disk
> partition
# create the desired slices
> label
# write an EFI label
> quit
> verify
> quit

You should now have a Sun EFI label with 9 slices. 8 is set by format(1m) and can't be changed. The other two should be the ones you created. You will need to do this for each disk and then check using prtvtoc(1m) that they all match. The disks don't need to match, but the slice sizes should.

I should note that format(1m) will not allow deleting a slice by setting the start and end to 0 easily. I have managed to do it, but I'm not sure what the correct incantation is. It gives "0 is out of range" messages most of the time.

In the first text installer screen chose F5, in the 2nd screen select the slice you want to use. Continue with the install. When It completes reboot to single user.

zfs create -V <size> rpool/dump rpool
zfs create -V <size> rpool/swap rpool
dumpadm -d /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/dump
swap -a /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap
touch /reconfigure
init 6

Reg     On Saturday, May 1, 2021, 08:16:07 AM CDT, Michelle <michelle at msknight.com> wrote:

 OK - I give in.

I've tried various combinations and I just can't get this into a
configuration where I can get things installed.

I need a step by step guide please, because I'm lost. I don't know what
options to choose in the installer to not avoid it wanting to wipe
whatever combinations of partitions I've set.

Michelle.