[OpenIndiana-discuss] Partitions for co-exist NAS drive

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 16:23:22 UTC 2021

 I just installed the 2021.04.30 text ISO on my Z400 test system. The disk had a pool in a single slice which I imported and destroyed. Had I not done that it would have named the pool rpool1. I left the disk label alone. This was from testing manually creating a single slice and installing into that using the F5 option which doesn't create dump and swap on the expectation they already exist.

The installer still has the usual spurious messages about only using 2 TB. I selected an EFI label and did the install.

That created a 256 MB s0 slice beginning in sector 256 with the rest of the disk in s1.

"zfs list" shows the pool has 4.39 TB available which is correct for having used the entire disk.

If you're going to run a 2 disk mirror with the 6 TB drives I'd install to a single pool using the text installer. Assuming it works properly. When the 8 TB drive returns, copy the data and then create a matching label and add the drive to the pool to create a mirror.

Unfortunately we are a tad shy on current documentation.

Reg