[OpenIndiana-discuss] Multiboot on PC

Marc Lobelle marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be
Mon May 3 16:39:41 UTC 2021

On "computers", I agree that it's better to run only OI, but there are
needed applications (Teams, Zoom, and other proprietary stuff you
sometimes have to use) that do not run on OI (as far as I know) and when
you travel, carrying 2 notebooks, One OI and one windows, is not
comfortable, so my notebooks are in dual boot OI/windows and use the OI
bootloader. The trick is to install windows first(often it is
preinstalled), use a tool to reduce the NTFS partition, then install OI
in tjhe freed place and modify the boot menu to add a line for windows.
As far as I remember, my notebooks use MBR but a 2 TB disk is OK on a
notebook

The problem of dual boot systems is that you have to stop OI to run
Windows. Is there now a way to run windows reliably and without
performance loss and with access to all peripherals  on top of
openindiana? I would gladly try it.

Thanks

Marc

On 03/05/2021 18:06, Judah Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 11:01 AM John D Groenveld <groenveld at acm.org> wrote:
>
>> In message <CAMf30+HKAONA=ra8JC9gifyMJdmbndnRLLwSzcY-9Hk=
>> 3abwLg at mail.gmail.com>
>> , "Francis.D" writes:
>>> I had for a while OI in multiboot on the same hard disk. On a lenovo T410
>>> Laptop using the same process on OpenBSD and it worked.
>>>
>>> I did not test on UEFI
>> EFI makes multibooting easier, not that I recommend multibooting.
>>
> I generally recommend against it too, but I've found it's also not very
> useful to question OPs' needs/wants ;)
>
>> John
>> groenveld at acm.org

Marc Lobelle
professeur émérite

ICTEAM
UCLouvain / SST / ICTEAM / INGI

Place Ste Barbe, 2, bte L5.02.01 - 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be <mailto:prenom.nom at uclouvain.be>
Tél.+32 (0) 475 494 616
Fax +32 (0) 10 47 51 20
www.uclouvain.be <https://uclouvain.be>