[OpenIndiana-discuss] Multiboot on PC

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Mon May 3 17:05:36 UTC 2021

Partitioning, MBR updates and details like that aside, this is some example about BE menu:

root at test:/home/tsoome# bootadm list-menu
the location for the active menu is: /rpool/boot/menu.lst
INDEX NAME                            DEVICE                                     TYPE   DEFAULT
0     Disk1                           disk0p1:/efi/boot/bootx64.efi              chain     -
1     Disk2                           disk2:                                     chain     -
2     Disk3_ufs                       disk3s1a:                                  bootfs    -
3     openindiana-2021:04:29          rpool/ROOT/openindiana-2021:04:29          bootfs    *

and corresponding menu file:

root at test:/home/tsoome# more /rpool/boot/menu.lst
title Disk1
chain disk0p1:/efi/boot/bootx64.efi
title Disk2
chain disk2:
title Disk3_ufs
bootfs disk3s1a:
title openindiana-2021:04:29
bootfs rpool/ROOT/openindiana-2021:04:29

Here, Disk1 and Disk2 are examples of chain loading, Disk1 is example of UEFI and Disk2 is example of BIOS boot. Disk3_ufs is example of illumos boot from ufs or pcfs file system (fstype needs to be set still).

bootadm can also list and manage the menu entries, but the syntax is too complicated and [bootadm] needs work.

rgds,
toomas