[OpenIndiana-discuss] Rolling release considered harmful

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Tue May 4 12:54:39 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 2:40 PM Judah Richardson <judahrichardson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 4, 2021, 07:25 Yassine Chaouche <a.chaouche at algerian-radio.dz>
> wrote:
>
> > Le 5/4/21 à 5:24 AM, Judah Richardson a écrit :
> > > From a practical perspective, I don't think OI has the option you want.
> > > It's a rolling release distribution. I
> > So, just to be clear for outsiders like myself. I thought Hipster
> > was the Rolling Release Branch. I assumed OI had another fixed
> > release branche, but apparently there's not ?
> >
> Hipster is the only release mentioned on the blog in over 2 years and the
> only release listed on the download page. I had the same question when I
> 1st downloaded OI, but it was pretty obvious to me from the above that
> Hipster is the main effort, and so that's what I installed. Don't fight the
> paradigm, as I keep saying.

Upgrades of Ubuntu LTS break more than OI on my server and without any
possibility of rollback to a previous boot environment...

I think the idea of a "stable release" prepared for several years of
production should be relaxed...
Even on our last supercomputer we had to move to CentOS Stream since CentOS
has dropped support for a stable release...

> > -- Yassine

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings