[OpenIndiana-discuss] Rolling release considered harmful

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Tue May 4 14:37:42 UTC 2021

> On 4. May 2021, at 16:55, Yassine Chaouche <a.chaouche at algerian-radio.dz> wrote:
>
> Le 5/4/21 à 2:34 PM, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss a écrit :
>> Upgrades of Ubuntu LTS break more than OI on my server and without any possibility of rollback to a previous boot environment...
>>> Upgrades != updates.
>> Hm, what is the difference?:) Rgds, Toomas
>
> Well you can *update* packages and remain in same OS version. Or,
> you can *upgrade* to next OS version, for example from Ubuntu 16
> to Ubuntu 17. In that case yes, breaks happen, and most users
> prefer to simply reinstall instead of upgrading, which they
> consider cleaner.

Well, with upgrade you get new OS version, which may have been created because of marketing reasons (we have so many new features since year X, so lets call ot new version), or because you have technical changes which are either not compatible with current apps or introduce some major (new) technologies into the system.

But when our interfaces remain stable and we do not break the apps and we do not have marketing department… we can just update. But then again, things are never that simple;)

rgds,
toomas