[OpenIndiana-discuss] Rolling release considered harmful

Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com
Tue May 4 16:55:55 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 8:35 AM Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss <
openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> > On 4. May 2021, at 16:01, Yassine Chaouche <a.chaouche at algerian-radio.dz>
> wrote:

> want. It's a rolling release distribution. I
> the Rolling Release Branch. I assumed OI had another fixed release branche,
> but apparently there's not ?
> the only release listed on the download page. I had the same question when
> I 1st downloaded OI, but it was pretty obvious to me from the above that
> Hipster is the main effort, and so that's what I installed. Don't fight the
> paradigm, as I keep saying.
> >> Upgrades of Ubuntu LTS break more than OI on my server and without any
> possibility of rollback to a previous boot environment...
> > Upgrades != updates.
> >

> Hm, what is the difference?:)

The semantics vary by OS and ecosystem.

Personally: I use "update" to refer to any version number advance &
"upgrade" to refer to any SKU or service/subscription level advance. So,
e.g. I would consider going from Ubuntu 20.10 to 21.04 an update, and going
from Zabbix free to Zabbix paid an upgrade.

But in practice to avoid confusion in online discussions I use them to mean
what passing either update or upgrade to the package manager of the OS in
question does.