[OpenIndiana-discuss] We need install images which work!

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue May 4 19:57:16 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 3:53 PM Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss <
openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> I'm going to try one more time.

> The 2021.04.30  GUI Live Image has major problems.
>
> gparted(1m) dumps core
>
> the documentation mentioned on the first GUI installer screen is missing
>
> the release notes are missing
>
> the GUI installer fails to install the boot loader
>
> the text installer incorrectly states EFI installs are limited to 2 TB

> All of these issues are also present in 2020.10.31 and possibly older
> releases.  This is a huge deterrent to new users.

Assuming new users hit them. Most users simply take the obvious direct
route. If there's
a button that says "Install" they'll hit that and completely ignore
anything and everything
else that might be present.

Based on that simple workflow, the current OI gui installer (which I
haven't used for ages,
but still looks like the original OpenSolaris installer) is good enough.
It's pretty much on a par with
other distro installers (and I've run dozens of them this year already). It
could be a lot quicker,
it could be more responsive, but it's not noticeably worse in terms of
useability or functionality
or reliability than many of the current crop of Linux installers - worse
than some, better than some.
That's not necessarily a ringing endorsement, but the point is that for
most of the target audience
the sky isn't falling and I think it echos what someone (Judah?) said -
stick to the straight and
narrow and life will be easier.

--
-Peter Tribble