[OpenIndiana-discuss] Multiboot on PC

Chris oidev at sunos.info
Tue May 4 22:34:37 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-04 12:59, James Madgwick wrote:
> On Mon, 3 May 2021 20:16:28 +0300
> Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss
> <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>> Only simple way is to use chainloader (point it to OS partition),
>> then you are not depending on file system reader implementation etc
>> etc.
>>
>> rgds,
>> toomas
>
> The OI handbook documents use of chainloader just above the text
> installer section
> (https://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/getting-started/#install-openindiana-using-the-text-installer).
>
> I tested it out a while ago, so far as I can tell it should be
> possible to install Linux, MS Windows, OI, BSDs on the same disk.
>
> I only tested it with MBR partition type, not GPT and without (U)EFI.
> The handbook says that multibooting is not possible with EFI. I'm not
> sure about that, it's possible with other OSs, but as I've not tried it
> with OI, I can't comment further.
I would _think_ at this point in time pretty much any (recent version of)
OS would have little trouble installing their firmware into the ESP
making (U)EFI multi-boot pretty simple as compared to the trickery
involved in fooling/abusing the MBR to obtain multi-boot. Isn't it
so w/OI? I _also_ haven't tried (yet).

--Chris