[OpenIndiana-discuss] The Register today

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon May 10 09:05:13 UTC 2021

Toomas Soome writes:
> The immediate issue is https://www.illumos.org/issues/2757. In core, this
> issue means that negative 32-bit numbers are not translated to negative
> 64-bit numbers. Currently used gcc 4.4.4 does implement such translation in
> compiler, there is no such patch for more recent compilers (firstly, the
> code path in more recent compilers has changed a lot, and secondly, such
> translation should be done by OS). This effectively does block switch from
> gcc 4.4.4. I actually am running gcc 7 built system, knowingly, keeping in
> mind that I may be bitten by problems cause by this issue.

In other words, when that issue is fixed, the primary compiler could be
switched to gcc 7?

> Secondly, there are SPARC optimizer issues in gcc 7 and gcc 9 (likely with
> 10 as well), crashing compiler while building specific parts of illumos
> tree. One example:
[...]

Could this be worked around by selectively turning off -O2 until that
is fixed?

> I haven’t had time to open bugreport with gcc.

Fair enough.

[...]
> As a side note, it is interesting to see SPARC related discussion in this list; there is no package repository for SPARC by OpenIndiana;)

Yes.  However, there are people working on new infrastructure for OI;
as soon as that is in place there will be a public repo for OI/SPARC.

Cheers -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt        Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"