[OpenIndiana-discuss] improving ZFS latency with hard disks

dave at loud-mouth.net dave at loud-mouth.net
Sun May 16 03:54:47 UTC 2021

Le me know if ZFS questions should be asked to another group.

Problem: A documentation application takes several minutes to open
documents containing large numbers of links to images. Aparently, the
application is making many separate file attribute queries, so the sum
of all the separate disk rotation latencies are adding up.

The obvious solution is to move the zfs pool over to SSDs, but since the
entire documentation collection is less than 10GB, I was wondering if
there was a way to address the problem with RAM. As far as I can tell
from the documentation, the ARC and L2ARC are based on recently used
data, so it doesn't sound like accessing attributes from all of the
linked files to a document would be helped by a larger ARC when the
document is first opened.

Is there a way I can get more of the proximity files in the cache with
any tuning parameters, or even utilize some sort of RAM disk for the
files in the directory of concern?

Thanks,

Dave