[OpenIndiana-discuss] USB problem

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Thu Nov 11 07:08:53 UTC 2021

On my OpenIndiana workstation I have USB 3.1 and automount works.

However you have to enable first "rmvolgmr".

# svcadm enable rmvolmgr

By default this is disabled.

You can then check "hal" :

# svcs -D hal
STATE          STIME    FMRI
disabled        7:44:06 svc:/network/device-discovery/printers:snmp
online          7:47:46 svc:/application/graphical-login/lightdm:default
online          7:52:01 svc:/system/filesystem/rmvolmgr:default

"hal" has dependent "rmvolmgr".

On my system when I attach some USB device like a webcam, keyboard, mouse, audio card or USB storage, it appears that "hal" is not picking up this change any longer.

I verified this with the command "lshal".

However if I restart hal and rmvolmgr it works for me and "lshal" reports the new hardware.

# svcadm restart hal
# svcadm restart rmvolmgr

So hal and rmvolmgr must be enabled, but they also must be restarted after attaching the USB device, and in the right order.

For example the wrong order would be to restart rmvolmgr before restarting hal.

I just tested that for me this works with the following OpenIndiana versions:

$  pkg list hal dbus removable-media osnet-incorporation
NAME (PUBLISHER)                                  VERSION                    IFO
consolidation/osnet/osnet-incorporation           0.5.11-2020.0.1.20768      i--
service/hal                                       0.5.11-2020.0.1.20768      i--
service/storage/removable-media                   0.5.11-2020.0.1.20768      i--
system/library/dbus                               1.12.20-2020.0.1.1         i--

Regards,
David Stes