[OpenIndiana-discuss] wiki.openindiana.org needs to be re/started and fixed

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 11:57:04 UTC 2021

On 10/1/21 1:42 PM, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:

> Am 10/1/21 um 1:27 PM schrieb Nikola M.:
>> Wiki.openindina.org is down and needs to be restarted or checks for
>> functionality what actually induces and causes it not to be available
>> occasionally.
>>
> The wiki has been shut down for security reasons. Most of its contents
> has already been merged into the docs. Some pages have been exported and
> are available for the documentation team.

I think most of Wiki it is not moved anywhere but by turning off wiki is
just made unavailable.

Security reasons are not quite valid reason, because new instance of
Wiki can be started ,license is provided as before and also it were
already updated before with version of Wiki.

Important functionality of the Wiki, being able to freely create and
enhance wiki pages is unavailable and is very valuable. (As Wikipedia as
an example of freely editable content proves for decades).

Process that requires strict subjection to other members approvals to
edit wiki-like content hinders user freedom and creativity, like
proposed docs pages with github , being external service, and not
including all the content available before but just a small subset.

Deciding on private mailing list, hidden from the wider audience is the
reflection of closed and exclusive projects and subjecting changes and
hindering wiki functionality is in line with the censorship.

I am of the opinion that no great and explosive progress and widening
the user base is possible on tightly restricted and secretly controlled
processes that hinder creativity.

Free users and contributors should not be subjected to article approvals
by few and affected by secret mailing lists not available to the public,
as OI is doing, that is not the signature of community and free software
projects in general.