[OpenIndiana-discuss] GPG2 on OI

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Fri Oct 1 17:01:52 UTC 2021

----- Op 30 sep 2021 om 20:41 schreef Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org:

>> Basically the fix is to put "s2k-count 29176832" in gpg-agent.conf :
>
> I didn't mention that in my previous post because it's not a fix,
> just a workaround.

Well I just tested on an older OpenIndiana machine (not running the latest OI hipster) that the solution also works for GNUPG 2.2.27.

I call it now a solution - to avoid the word fix or workaround.

As an experiment I put in my $HOME/.gpg/gpg-agent.conf the line:

   s2k-count 30000

to use a different value but that also works.

With gnupg 2.2.27  the gpg2 --gen-key works and is not hanging as it was in the past.

I like to think of this solution (the line in the gpg-agent.conf) as a fix for a bug in GNUPG.

My reasoning is that GNUPG is not forced at all to use any value as defined in system header files,
so I would think that it is a bug in GPG2 in the first place.

The report for the Illumos is interesting of course but still -- GNUPG2 could work (as the s2k-count line proves regardless of the support in the Illumos osnet-incorporation.

By using the line in the gpg-agent.conf  I can fix it without upgrading OpenIndiana ... which is a useful property of this solution or fix.

For example I believe the build-essential IPS package group (metapackage) depends on gnupg.

Regards
David Stes