[OpenIndiana-discuss] A KVM switch broke my server?! Lightdm is panic'ing the kernel

Tony Brian Albers tba at kb.dk
Fri Sep 3 11:35:28 UTC 2021

Have you tried just booting with lightdm disabled, logging in through
the cli and running startx?

Not sure if it would work, but it's worth a shot.

/tony

Carl Brewer wrote:

> I've almost finished setting up my new i5/NVIDIA 1030 server. latest pkg
> image-update today, my WD red pros arrived at last so I could build my
> ZFS mirror for the data store, it's all coming together.  I've turned
> off atime on rpool and my other zpools. Rebooted, everything seems fine.
>
> Everything works on my dining room table, rebooted, it's solid. So it's
> time to move it into the rack in my office.
>
> I have a HDMI and USB KVM switch I plug it into. Not really paying much
> attention, I didn't watch the console when it booted, I don't think I
> even had it plugged in to a monitor at the time.
>
> Long story short, it keeps kernel panic'ing if lightdm is enabled. I can
> boot without lightdm and it's fine. I'd like the GUI though.  The ASCII
> console is pretty close to useless, it's slow as mud.  Inherited that
> from SPARC I guess ... In the OId Days, when I had a Sun 3/60(!) as my
> desktop, the ASCII console was faster. heh.  IPX, Sparc 2, no quicker. I
> never cared, I ran X11 on them, meh ...
>
> Things I have tried, after getting rid of the KVM switch from the
> situation.
>
> Connected directly to the original (previously working) monitor with the
> originally working HDMI cable.
>
> Replacing the 1030 with a NVIDIA 1660 GFX card I had lying around.
>
> different HDMI cable
>
> different monitor
>
> HDMI/SVGA adaptor cable instead of KVM switch
>
> No luck. I've even tried booting off the (working, or it used to!) USB
> drive Aurelian set up for me. It won't boot lightdm up. Kernel panic. I
> don't get it. It worked this afternoon!  Reverted back to last week's OI
> boot environment (which worked!), nope ...
>
> I'm stumped, short of resetting the BIOS, I can't think of anything else
> to try to revert it back to how it was 4 hours ago when it worked on the
> table! It's back there now, and I can log in remotely.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions for how to debug it? Or how to just get at
> it using a VNC client - all the "set up VNC for OI" instructions I've
> found are ancient and don't mention lightdm. If I can't have a GUI
> console, that's ok, as long as I can get at it using VNC.

Tony Albers - Systems Architect - Data Department, Royal Danish Library,
Victor Albecks Vej 1, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Tel: +45 2566 2383 - CVR/SE: 2898 8842 - EAN: 5798000792142