[OpenIndiana-discuss] A KVM switch broke my server?! Lightdm is panic'ing the kernel

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Sat Sep 4 00:20:38 UTC 2021

On 4/09/2021 12:36 am, stes at PANDORA.BE wrote:

> # scanpci | grep UHD
>   Intel Corporation CometLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630]
>
> So in my case the 'scanpci' tool from OpenIndiana detects a UHD Graphics 630 in addition to the NVIDIA adapter.
>
> Did you check 'scanpci'  and grep Intel ?

Yes, but not relevant, no UHD on this, see :

  scanpci | grep Intel
  Intel Corporation Comet Lake-S 6c Host Bridge/DRAM Controller
  Intel Corporation 6th-10th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x16)
  Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH-V USB Controller
  Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH-V Thermal Subsystem
  Intel Corporation Device unknown
  Intel Corporation 400 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
  Intel Corporation Device unknown
  Intel Corporation Device unknown
  Intel Corporation Device unknown
  Intel Corporation Device unknown
  Intel Corporation Memory controller
  Intel Corporation Device unknown
  Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH-V SMBus Host Controller
  Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (12) I219-V
root at skaro:/var/crash/skaro# scanpci | grep NV
  NVIDIA Corporation GP108 [GeForce GT 1030]
  NVIDIA Corporation GP108 High Definition Audio Controller

> I am running OpenIndiana 2021.04 on a Dell Precision and also ran 'startx' to configure X.
>
> # prtdiag -v | head
> System Configuration: Dell Inc. Precision 3640 Tower
> BIOS Configuration: Dell Inc. 1.2.3 08/06/2020
>
> ==== Processor Sockets ====================================
>
> Version                          Location Tag
> -------------------------------- --------------------------
> Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10100 CPU @ 3.60GHz U3E1

prtdiag -v | head
System Configuration: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B460MAORUSPRO
BIOS Configuration: American Megatrends Inc. F4 08/28/2020

==== Processor Sockets ====================================

Version                          Location Tag
-------------------------------- --------------------------
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz U3E1

> Basically what I did after initial text install was run startx and check that it was unable to use the 'intel' driver for that card.
>
> Anyway the NVIDIA card in my Dell Precision is working fine.
>
> I configured /etc/X11/xorg.conf using /usr/bin tools :
>
> /usr/bin/nvidia-SunOS-bug-report.sh
> /usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig
> /usr/bin/nvidia-settings
>

> Basically when running /usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig I save the xorg.conf file from there.

I've just tried that, will see what happens, I just ran the
nvidia-xconfig and saw that it generated an xorg.conf file in /etc/X11

Thanks!

Carl