[OpenIndiana-discuss] GPG2 on OI

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Mon Sep 27 09:57:03 UTC 2021

----- Op 27 sep 2021 om 11:09 schreef Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org:

> Thanks for the response David, I really appreciate it.  I'm glad to see
> it's not just my install.

It is also possible to setup a test VM (for example with "vagrant") and make a new VM (scratch new environment) and install GPG2 and see that it hangs there.

However it is possible that my command   : gpg2 --gen-key  is the wrong command,
although I thought that was the way to generate keys.  I'm no gpg expert.

>> What I do as workaround is use "loopback" mode, I'm not sure whether you
>> tried that, from reading your posting I think you may have already tried
>> that :
>
> I hadn't, but I gave it a try and did get gpg2 to prompt for a passphrase,
> but as you've also experienced, it hangs after accepting the passphrase.

It is possible to compile the old GPG (not gpg2)

vagrant at openindiana:~/gnupg-1.4.23$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.23

with that old and unsupported "end of life" version, it still works to generate keys (old style)

gpg: /export/home/vagrant/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
public and secret key created and signed.

With gpg 1.4.23 (which fortunately still compiles fine on the latest OpenIndiana) the command : gpg --gen-key works for me.

However there is a world of difference between those old versions and the new GPG 2.x series,
so this probably does not provide a lot of value.

It is perhaps possible to try out older versions and find a solution, I'd be interested if you find a solution and are willing to share it !

Thanks,
David Stes