[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 13:46:30 UTC 2022

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 8:14 AM Bob Friesenhahn <
bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022, Judah Richardson wrote:
>
> > OK. The Solaris documentation I linked to says that Solaris (and
> presumably
> > distros downstream of that codebase) expects the DHCP server to be
> another
> > Solaris machine, and so DHCP servers that don't behave like the latter
> can
> > result in unexpected behavior.
>
> The above seems to be a meaningless statement.

Perhaps I misunderstood the documentation, so here's the verbatim quote:

"By default, the Solaris DHCP client does not supply its own host name,
because the client expects the DHCP server to supply the host name. The
Solaris DHCP server is configured to supply host names to DHCP clients by
default. When you use the Solaris DHCP client and server together, these
defaults work well. However, when you use the Solaris DHCP client with some
third-party DHCP servers, the client might not receive a host name from the
server. If the Solaris DHCP client does not receive a host name through
DHCP, the client system looks at the /etc/nodename file for a name to use
as the host name. If the file is empty, the host name is set to unknown."

I suppose what I meant by "unexpected behavior" is "behavior different from
other client OSes the user may be accustomed to."