[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Tue Apr 12 18:52:28 UTC 2022

On 12/04/2022 20:42, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2022, Judah Richardson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 12, 2022, 13:27 Udo Grabowski (IMK) <udo.grabowski at kit.edu>
>> wrote:

>>> Grabowski (IMK)

>>> Why ?? This hasn't been the case for at least two decades of
>>> Solaris and beyond.
>>
>> Probably an oversight, I'd guess. As with many such situations, things
>> that
>> aren't obviously and critically broken don't get much attention ;)
>
> It is not really an oversight since all computers with a TCP/IP stack
> need to deal with some level of routing even if they are not acting as a
> gateway.  If there is ever more than one way to get "there" via the L2
> network then running a higher-level routing protocol (e.g. RIP) can help
> the TCP/IP stack make the right decisions if the involved routers use
> the same protocol.  The host might participate in RIP or it might just
> act as an observer.
>
> In many cases one or more computers are attached to a shared L2 network
> with a single upstream router. In this case, using DHCP to configure the
> default route, or static configuration to provide the default route, can
> be a good choice. There are other means such as ICMP Router Discovery
> Protocol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICMP_Router_Discovery_Protocol)
> or even ICMP redirects.

I have a few machines with two L2 networks (a.k.a. tagged VPN), and even
those don't require the routing service. In fact, in my over 3 decades
of experience with Sun machines, I only once have seen that the routing
service had to be active. That one case was when I experimented with the
COMSTAR network simulation tools to play with virtual switches and
routers.